Don’t get wasted this Christmas! How much do you really know about the huge amount of food that we throw out?
The festive season is the only time of year when over-indulgence is the order of the day. Have another piece of cake, buy those mince pies, stock up on sweets. But how much of what we buy actually gets eaten?
Online retailer Approved Food is campaigning to reduce food waste this festive season. We think it’s scandalous that every year in the UK alone, five million Christmas puddings, two million turkeys and 74 million mince pies go to waste – not to mention huge quantities of vegetables, fruit and snacks.
So why not take our fun quiz to find out how much you really know about food waste?
All entries go into a draw to win a £50 voucher from Approved Food. Send your entries into: email@example.com.
- The term ‘best before’ on food labels really means:
a: It has past the date that guarantees quality but is still fine to eat;
b: It should be thrown in the bin as it is unsafe to eat;
c: It is best eaten before a certain time of day.
- What happens to discarded food when it goes to landfill?
a: It decomposes without any harm to the environment;
b: As it rots, it produces harmful greenhouse gases;
c: It’s eaten by bugs or animals foraging.
- What about food that is past its ‘use by’ date? Is that safe to eat?
a: It’s perfectly all right to eat if it smells okay;
b: No! That can be really dangerous;
c: Yes, but you have to cook it thoroughly.
- What is the most commonly wasted food in the UK?
b: Baked beans;
- How much food is wasted in the UK every year?
a: Seven million tonnes;
b: Four million tonnes;
c: Three million tonnes.
- How much milk do we waste every day in this country?
a: One million glasses;
b: 3.3 million glasses;
c: 5.8 million glasses.
- How much money every year does the average British family with children waste on food that’s thrown away?
- How many mince pies are thrown away every Christmas?
a: 74 million;
b: 84 million;
c: 94 million.
- If it’s stored properly, dried food can last how long after its Best Before date?
c: Months or even years.
- On average, how much can a savvy AF shopper save on their weekly shop?
1. No purchase necessary to enter the competition.
2. This competition is open to UK residents aged 13 years or over, with the exception of employees
of the promoter, their families, agents and anyone else connected with this promotion.
3. Entries must be received by 17:00 GMT December 21, 2020. The promoter accepts no
responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach the promoter
by the relevant closing date for any reason.
4. Only one entry per person.
5. To enter fill in your details as directed on the Approved Food website for this competition.
6. All correctly completed entries will be entered into a prize draw which will take place on
December 22 2020. The first entry drawn will be the winner.
7. The prize is a £50 voucher to spend at https://www.approvedfood.co.uk/.
8. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the promoter reserves the right (a) to substitute
alternative prizes of equivalent or greater value and (b) in exceptional circumstances to amend or
foreclose the promotion without notice. No correspondence will be entered into.
9. The winners will be notified via email on December 22. The Promoter reserves the right to offer
the unclaimed prize to a substitute winner selected in accordance with these rules.
10. To obtain details of the winner please email firstname.lastname@example.org stating the name of
the prize draw in the subject heading within four weeks after the closing date.
11. The promoter will use any data submitted by entrants only for the purposes of running the prize
draw, unless otherwise stated in the entry details. By entering this prize draw, all entrants consent to
the use of their personal data by the promoter for the purposes of the administration of this prize
draw and any other purposes to which the entrant has consented.
12. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by or associated with any
social media platforms. You acknowledge that all information and material that you submit to enter
this promotion is submitted to the promoter.
13. The winners agree to take part in reasonable post event publicity and to the use of their names
and photographs in such publicity.
14. Promoter may disqualify any entrant whose entry does not comply with these terms and
conditions (in Promoter’s sole opinion) or who, in Promoter’s sole determination, has acted in a
manner that is fraudulent, dishonest or unjust to other entrants including, without limitation,
tampering with the operation of the prize draw, manipulating or rigging votes, hacking, deceiving,
cheating or by harassing or threatening other entrants or a representative of Promoter.
15. By entering the prize draw each entrant agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions.
16. The promoter is Approved Food, Silkstone Court, Upper Cliffe Road, Dodworth Business Park,
Barnsley S75 3SP.
17.These terms and conditions are governed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.